Mar 21, 2023, 08:45
Carbiotix (publ) ("Carbiotix" or "Company") announces today that the Company has developed a new second generation CarbiAXOS production process that doubles the yield in addition to providing many other cost, environmental and safety improvements. The new process was developed over the past 8 months from feedback connected to the GRAS SA process and in response to delays caused by the approval of the third-party enzyme used in the CarbiAXOS process. The Company will now scale up this new process in Bjuv after the planned site upgrade is completed in April and will in parallel evaluate its current GRAS dossier.
Kristofer Cook, CEO of Carbiotix, comments
"During the second half of 2022, we took the feedback from the GRAS SA process and delay in the approval of our third-party enzyme to explore opportunities to improve the CarbiAXOS process and product. I am extremely happy to communicate that this exploration process has resulted in a new second-generation CarbiAXOS process that is truly a game changer for us and potentially the entire prebiotics and health & wellness industry, with the following impacts:
• Target active ingredient yields increased by at least 100%
• Increased complexity of product, thus elevating the potential bifidogenic effect and the production of Short Chain Fatty Acids (SCFAs)
• Reduction of process chemicals by up to 5 times
• 25% reduction in process energy
• The process is now enzyme independent, meaning that we can produce CarbiAXOS without an enzyme, and the use of an enzyme is now only used to further increase yields and target specific CarbiAXOS products
• Flexible process that can be used across multiple substrates validated on corn, pea and oat fiber, allowing us to develop a portfolio of very effective products
• Safer product that can help accelerate regulatory approvals in multiple markets
• Consistent products across different substrates allowing for blends to target a desired effect thus allowing for full product customisation (which does not exist today at scale)
• The same process can be used with nutraceutical and cosmetic ingredients meaning that we can manufacture both ingredients at the same time
Overall, the new CarbiAXOS process produces more product in the same production time, a better product in terms of effect and safety, a lower cost product with less environmental impact, and less reliance on third parties for example specific substrate or enzyme suppliers. This will further strengthen our position in the market as a leading innovator of high-end nutraceutical and cosmetic prebiotics and substantially reduces supply chain risks.
I am extremely proud of the work of our CTO Steven Bromley and his team. They were presented with an opportunity to improve the CarbiAXOS process and did this well beyond my expectations and only in 8 months, whereas previous development activities took multiple years. This clearly demonstrates that the investment we made in our prebiotic development and microbiology labs in 2022 has paid off. We will continue to leverage these assets to optimise processes, develop new prebiotics in line with our strategy and customise our products for customers as reflected on our updated website. This also reassures me that the delay we experienced in the GRAS SA approval of our CarbiAXOS based on corn bran has been well worth it.
We will now scale up the new CarbiAXOS process at our site in Bjuv after the planned upgrades are completed in April to further validate our process and collect samples for regulatory safety testing. We are also in parallel comprehensively evaluating our current GRAS dossier in-light of this new CarbiAXOS process and product, collecting feedback from the GRAS working group and customer contacts from pre-sales activities. I simply want to make sure that we are optimising costs in relation to regulatory timelines, while fully meeting customer expectations to ensure optimised product market fit.”
This is information that Carbiotix AB is obliged to make public according to the EU Market Abuse Regulation (MAR). The information was made publicly available by the Company’s contact person set out below on 21 March 2023.
This communication contains forward-looking statements, consisting of subjective assumptions and forecasts for future scenarios. Predictions for the future only apply as of the date they are made and are, by their nature, as is research and development work in the biotechnology segment, associated with risk and uncertainty. With this in mind, the actual outcome may deviate significantly from the scenarios as described in this press release
For further information:
Kristofer Cook, CEO
Tel: +46 (0)708-796580
Carbiotix AB (CRBX) (www.carbiotix.com) is an award-winning biotechnology company pioneering microbiome healthcare through a portfolio of prebiotic modulators and diagnostic testing services.Go Back